Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Old Folks

We sing a song "Oh I wonder how the old folks are at home, I wonder if they'll miss me when I'm gone."I love visiting and listening to the old folks. My husband and I have been so fortunate to be able to visit weekly or every other week two of his older uncles. One lives in a senior home in the same town as we do and the other one lives 45 min. away. One will be 94 in Dec and still lives in his own home and has a girlfriend whom he has had for 4 or 5 yrs. A very sweet lady that turned 90 Oct the 8Th. They make such a cute little couple. We have gone out to eat with them and just go there sometimes to hang out and my husband now goes and does some work for him because recently he had taken a bad fall down his basement steps. But is getting along...his girlfriend has been there faithfully by his side taking very good care of him..in all of this they shared in the time they have been together they have never had a disagreement...could it be that she doesn't hear very well...maybe not..tonight we spent the evening here with the 82 yr old. He shares stories about the "good ole days" when gas was 19 cents a gal. and wages were about 5000 a year, house payments about 35 dollars a month with insurance and taxes included. Didn't lock the front door when you went to bed...I remember that myself and I am not that old...Those days are bygone...we talked about the upcoming election..he has casted his vote already..It makes me sad to see where we have come..but happy that I can still sit down and visit and lighten someones day, to see the smile on his face when we walk in is priceless..to hear the stories he tell, priceless we both gain, me more than him because it reminds me of what really is of value, somehow we have lost so much. We all can learn from these few that are left to tell their stories. Take time to visit someone that may be shut in and can't get out it is well worth the effort. Let us not forget what this nation was founded upon by our forefathers and what they fought so hard for us to have...Our nation was ONE NATION UNDER GOD...freedom they gave by sacrificing their lives so that we can live in the GREATEST nation of all.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Hi Evy! Yay, another blog to read! Great to see you here. :)