Thursday, February 24, 2011

What Makes a House a Home??









So many times we here say "oh have you seen the house down the street that is for sale?" or do you know that the boese's bought the jone's house and it is such a beautiful place. or did you know that the walker's are building a new house? But do we think about what it takes to make that house a home? A haven of rest when we are tired. A place to come back to when we have been on vacation and saying "oh man it is so good to be home." First and foremost our home should be a place where God is the center. My bible that I am showing here was my probably my great, great grandfather's I really am not sure I just remember it sitting on the top shelf  above the stairway of my parents home. I was so happy to get this. By the looks of this it has been read alot. now it sits on my parlor table I can hardly touch it because it is falling apart. I love this old Bible and wonder about the hands that use to hold it and read it and I wonder what kind of walk they had with God. Another thing that I think makes a house a home of course is LOVE but also homemade things. Things that family or friends have made for you, to take the time and think about something that you would like and then to make it. The pictures and art work above the black dresser here my Granddaughter Annie made for us. I love them. The cross on the board Everett made for me. With the thorns on top of the cross.
I have lots of homemade things in my home and just really think they give the home a cozy feeling. Another thing that I love and feel like brings warmth into the home are candles and I am forever burning candles. Also I love lamps. The soft lights of the lamps. I can not have to many lamps and I have a lot. The smell of coffee brewing, roast cooking in the oven, bacon frying are all fragrance's that remind me of home. There are a lot of different things we can think of but tonight these are just some that came to my mind. The comforts of home. Some say home is where the heart is I say home is where God is...

No comments: