Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Memories of my Childhood

There seems to be certain things that can bring back memories of one's past...a smell, an item, or seeing someone you haven't seen for awhile, maybe a song on the radio can trigger some memories of yesterday..the one that triggers it for me is summer..the harvest..the hot weather, watermelon, and the long days...I love to watch wheat trucks come into town...I love to see them all lined up at the elevators..it gives me a sense of security...don't laugh...I will explain.
As a child of 10 or so I would head off to Oklahoma the first part of June. Usually I would stay with my sister and husband and 4 children 2 weeks..in those 2 weeks they would be harvesting..I would watch the little ones while my sister took food out to the fields...then in the afternoon my sister would let me have some friends over that I had made there and we would play...usually at this time in the evenings she would make home-made ice cream...I would love to go to town with her and shop..play with the little ones and then all at once I would get really homesick..I would get a letter from my mom..(people didn't just pick up the phone and call back then it was to expensive) and she would tell me what was going on here at home..oh it made my stomach hurt..they had watermelon for supper the night before for the first time...I missed them...
Then I would come back home and go to my other sister, and help her with her 4 children while we were in harvest here..she would take me out to the field with her when she fed the hungry harvesters..oh that was so much fun...we would butcher chickens, watch them flop all around after cutting their heads off...dump them in a pail of hot water, pluck the feather, cut them up and fry them for supper...nothing in this world was better than that...after I was done helping her, I went on to my other sister just north of her for a week or so too...she had 3 small children it was fun there to, but we were in town..so it was different...I loved summer time with my sisters and family....Back at home my mom would be canning pickles, green beans, peas and putting up corn..I loved the summer...
One day too, we will reap what we have sown..it will be time for the harvest..are we ready..do we have all our equipment (our hearts,our lives,) ready for the harvest??
Our Master is coming to gather in His crop...His Church...it will be final, there will not be another chance...We must plant seeds of love, goodness, kindness, faithfullness and gentleness and only in Him is where our security must come from.

No comments: