Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Empty Tomb

Just coming off Easter Sunday and what it really means to me some thoughts are coming to my mind.
Easter has a lot of different meanings to a lot of different people. To some it is just another Sunday.
No thought about it being any different then any other Sunday.

To others it is a time for family. To get together, eat a big meal, hide eggs for the kiddos, and sit and visit. Sometimes this is the first day of sitting or playing outside. It usually is warmer on Easter for some reason.

Others have to go out and get new Easter dresses for the little girls ( or bigger ones) new hats maybe, new white shoes...this would have been me a number of years ago and especially when I was growing up. My Mom always made me a new dress to wear on Easter. Loved it, all my friends had new dresses on too. Pretty...

A lot of different religions have a lot of things or traditions that they do coming up to the day.

Giving something up for Lent....Special services for certain days...ash Wednesday comes to mind..ashes on the forehead in the shape of a cross...Palm Sunday...Sunrise service's...lots of songs about the cross...

In a Bible Study class that I was just in one of the questions was: What is your favorite holiday?
Mine is Christmas...love all that goes with it. Christmas eve my very favorite day of the year. Anticipation...more so when I was little. Now it is just the silence I feel on Christmas eve...the candle light services...Silent Night....Holy Night....

Off track here....the tomb...the empty tomb....Easter is not about the Easter Bunny, the colored eggs filled with candy...the Easter baskets, the new dresses, the new shoes....seems like in every Christian holiday we can go the secular way....here, there, here, there one foot in one foot out...it is what we make of it and what we add to it and what we take away from it. It is tradition...it is what we were brought up with it is how we do life....what really is right...what does Jesus think...when we are running around.....looking...searching....shopping....putting ashes on our foreheads...is He saying come on people...it is about ME....I was nailed to the cross....I bore the sins of the whole world..once and for all....I was in agony....I cried...." My God, My God why have thou forsaken me??? Jesus is saying I did it for you...and you....and you....

The Tomb is empty...It is finished....He paid it all....ALL...What did He do for us....He gave us life..through His resurection...WE now have hope.....What are we doing for HIM....

I love my family....God has blessed us so much....I love hiding the eggs for the little ones...but they are here because of HIM...and I can take them with me into eternity because of what He did that day...on the cross and on Easter when He rose again......because of me....and because of you!

No comments: